The month of May is “Electrical Safety Month” so it’s important to recognize the ways in which you can keep yourself and your family safe. Electrical hazards are something everyone in your household should be wary of as there are around 31,000 fires and 200 deaths each year caused by these dangers. By knowing what hazards to look out for, you can keep your home and family safe and sound.
Electrical Safety in the Bedrooms
If you have anything plugged into the wall, check the cords. Damage or wearing in the cords can result in shock or circuit fires. Distressed cords should be repaired immediately. You should also inspect all outlets and light switches in the bedrooms to make sure they are in good condition and mounted securely to the walls. Be sure to also limit the amount of use of extension cords. Overuse of extension cords can make them overheat and trigger a fire to break out.
Electrical Safety in Bathrooms
When it comes to electrical safety in bathrooms, cords and water do not mix. When appliances such as hairdryers are not in use, they should always be unplugged. The appliances should be in good condition. Again, there should be no frayed or damaged cords that could lead to circuit fires. Be aware if you also use a portable heater in your bathroom as it can easily mix with water. Instead consider having a fixed heating fan installed.
Electrical Safety in the Kitchen
The kitchen can have many appliances that can contribute to electrical fires. Small appliances should be unplugged when they are not being used and should always be kept away from the sink. The cords of these appliances also need to be away from hot surfaces such as the stove. Cords can melt or burn from too much heat which can lead to shock or fire. If a large kitchen appliance such as your fridge or stove has ever given you a slight shock, then you should try to refrain from using it and have an electrician check it out.
Electrical Safety in the Living Room
Any entertainment equipment such as televisions or game systems, should have space so that air can flow around them. This will prevent them from overheating which can be dangerous. Any cords in the living room should also not be wrapped tightly around anything. Furniture or heavy rugs shouldn’t be directly on top of electrical cords. The heavy weight or traffic can cause damage to the cords making them easier to catch fire.
Electrical Safety for Outdoors and Garages
All outlets outsides should have waterproof covers to keep them clean of water and debris. Refrain from using the outlets when it is wet outside. Make sure the cords of all power tools are in good condition. You should also periodically turn circuit breakers on and off to keep them in good working order.
There are home systems that you can have installed in your house that will immediately let the fire department know if a fire outbreaks. These systems coincide with regular security systems, and when smoke is detected authorities are contacted to resolve the issues as quickly as possible. These systems are a great way to keep your family and home safe.
When it comes to your home electrical systems, take care and check cords and outlets often. One overlooked cord or appliance can result in serious injury to you and your loved ones. In honor of”Electrical Safety Month,” check on your home and make sure everything is working properly but make sure that you do this regularly throughout the year as well to ensure that your home is protected and safe.